What is Ladies Side Saddle racing?
- Ladies Side Saddle racing involves riders who are extremely experienced horsewomen from the Calgary area. The race hosts eight ladies each night – racing half of the track from a standing start. The ladies are riding sidesaddle and will be dressed in period appropriate dress for sidesaddle representing a range of dates in the 1800’s and early 1900’s for western Canada. It is a thrilling spectacle – harkening back to some event racing that did happen in the early years of the Stampede.
Where is Ladies Side Saddle racing?
- The Ladies Side Saddle races take place in the Grandstand following the final chuckwagon heat of the night.
- July 7 & 8, 2018, immediately following the final chuckwagon heat of the night during the GMC Rangeland Derby.
Do I need a ticket to spectate?
- Yes, the Ladies Side Saddle races are part of the GMC Rangeland Derby which is a ticketed event. Tickets are available at the Calgary Stampede Box Office or online at calgarystampede.com.
Will there be a line up?
- There may be a lineup when you initially enter the Grandstand building due to volume of guests arriving at once. Lineups may also occur at the washroom facilities and concession stands.
What time do I need to arrive?
- We recommend arriving at least 30 minutes prior to show time.
Is there an age restriction?
- There is no age restriction.