What is the North American Sheep Shearing Challenge?
- It’s a contest of the quick and the clean. Two shearers side by side -- who can shear sheep in the best time, but more importantly, with the most skill! And all for over $11,000 in prize money and special awards at the 22nd annual. Calgary Stampede North American Sheep Shearing Challenge. Champions and challengers alike -- sharpen up your gear and come win your share of Canada’s richest shearing purse!Each obstacle demonstrates both their amazing horsemanship skills and incredible speed.
- Experienced shearers from around the world compete in the Open Class. Less experienced shearers are invited to enter the Intermediate Class. Every shearer wins money in each go-round, in our unique head-to-head duel format. This is a timed and judged event, based on international shearing rules and emphasizing the Calgary Stampede’s commitment to safe animal handling practices.
Where is the event held?
- In the Ag Building/Victoria Pavilion.
Dates and schedule
July 14, 2018
|10:00 a.m.||Meeting: All NASSC Competitors, Judges, and Volunteers|
|11:15 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.||NASSC Go-Round #1 – Intermediate & Open|
|2:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.||NASSC Go-Round #2 – Intermediate & Open|
|5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||International Team Shearing|
July 15, 2018
|11:15 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.||NASSC Go-Round #3 – Intermediate & Open|
|2:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.||NASSC Go-Round #4 – Intermediate & Open|
|5:30 p.m.||NASSC Semi Finals – Open (Top 4)|
NASSC Finals – Intermediate (Top 2) & Open (Top 2)
International Team Shearing Finals
|6:45 p.m.||NASSC Championship Presentation|
Do I need a ticket to spectate?
- No. Seating is on a first come-first served basis.
Will there be a lineup?
- Possibly. As all seats for competitions and shows in the Victoria Pavilion are first come-first served, depending on the popularity of the event, there might be a line-up.
What time do I need to arrive?
- To increase the possibility of guaranteeing a seat, we recommend arriving 30 minutes before the start of the event.
Is accessible seating available?
Where is the closest accessible parking?
- There are two accessible parking lots of equal distance from the Victoria Pavilion. One is located south of the Erlton Gates in Lot 8 and the other is located northeast of the BMO Centre in Lot 10.
Can I bring my stroller?
- Yes. You can take your stroller to the Victoria Pavilion. Please note there is no stroller parking available.
Can I bring non-alcoholic beverages?
- Yes. Non-alcoholic beverages are permitted on Stampede Park and in all our venues.
Can I purchase alcoholic beverages at this event?
- No, alcoholic beverages will not be available for purchase.
Can I bring my service animal?
- Yes. Providing your service animal has the appropriate registration. Please see our service animal guidelines here.
Can I bring my camera?
- Yes. Cameras for personal use are permitted.
Shearers: Your entry and accreditation forms are due by June 18, 2018. Promptness of entry helps us determine sheep numbers and prepare your competitor packages. An official exhibitor accreditation pass is required for park entry and must be purchased with your entry.
ENTER BEFORE JUNE 1 AND YOU COULD WIN OUR SPECIAL DRAW FOR HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR THE SHEARING WEEKEND!
Shearers are responsible for their own handpieces (worm drive), combs and cutters. The Calgary Stampede Sheep Committee provides the Lister shearing motors, and flex or jointed drops. Please check in early on Saturday morning to help with sorting and crutching.
For additional information such as entry fees, awards, rules and judging criteria, please check out the North American Sheep Shearing Challenge website.