Cutting Horse Competition 2019
What is the Cutting Horse Competition?
- Cutting is a western-style equestrian competition in which a horse and rider work as a team before a judge or panel of judges to demonstrate the horse's athleticism and ability to handle cattle during a 2 1⁄2 minute performance, called a "run."
- Each horse and rider is faced with a herd of cattle and two and a half minutes on the clock. Working together, they must select a single cow to move out of; or ‘cut’, from of the herd. Once the cow has been selected and removed from the herd the rider drops their reins, saying to the horse, "It's up to you - take it from here!"
- The pair must then demonstrate their ability to keep the cow from returning to the herd. The horse uses great strength and agility as it mimics the movements of the cow, always staying one hoof ahead. Once the cow has lost interest and looks away, the team may re-enter the herd for a fresh cow to cut.
Where is the event held?
- In the Nutrien Western Event Centre.
Dates and Schedule
July 4, 2018
11 a.m. – 1 p.m. (warm-up)
1 p.m. – 9 p.m. (First Go, Non-Pro and Open)
July 5, 2018
9:30 a.m. – 1 .p.m (warm-up)
11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Non Pro and Open Finals)
Do I need a ticket to spectate?
- No. Seating is on a first come-first served basis.
Will there be a lineup?
- Possibly. As all seats for competitions and shows in the Nutrien Western Event Centre are first come-first served, depending on the popularity of the event, there might be a line-up.
What time do I need to arrive?
- To increase the possibility of guaranteeing a seat, we recommend arriving 30 minutes before the start of the event.
Is accessible seating available?
- Yes. There is an elevator located in the rotunda. This will take you to the upper bowl of the arena where designated accessible seating is available.
Where is the closest accessible parking?
- There are two accessible parking lots of equal distance from the Nutrien Western Event Centre. One is located south of the Erlton Gates in Lot 8 and the other is located northeast of the BMO Centre in Lot 10.
Can I bring my stroller?
- Yes. You can take your stroller to the Nutrien Western Event Centre where there will be a designated unsupervised area to store your stroller while watching the event.
Can I bring non-alcoholic beverages?
- Yes. Non-alcoholic beverages are permitted on Stampede Park and in all our venues.
Can I purchase alcoholic beverages at this event?
- Yes. Beer and wine will be available for purchase.
Can I bring my service animal?
- Yes. Providing your service animal has the appropriate registration. Please see our service animal guidelines here.
Can I bring my camera?
- Yes. Cameras for personal use are permitted.
For more information please go to: http://ag.calgarystampede.com/events/760-2019-calgary-stampede-cutting-horse-competition.html